Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Glory to God in the Hyatt

For our last night in Bodha, Pema Zangmo & I decided to spend it at the Hyatt. I hadn't had a shower in 15 days (yes I was counting) & I was tired of being cold. When I looked online & found out the rooms were only about $150/night that settled it.

Rang-rig & Felice decided to accompany us. At first we planned to get one room for all four of us, in order to economize, since the double rooms have two queen-size beds, but it turns out that the Hyatt will not allow 4 adults to share one room, so we got a double room & they got a room with a king-size bed. We checked out of the Valley Guest House & took a taxi to our new home.

Things are pretty spiffy at the Hyatt, with its reflecting pools & collection of bogus (but attractive) stupa-looking objects in the lobby. As we slouched over to the reception desk in our dusty robes & identified ourselves as having booked a room, a hotel employee came around offering fruit juice & iced tea on a silver platter. We knew we were in the right place.

By the way, speaking of being in the right place, I am now home in Brooklyn, using my little Mac Mini rather than the miserable app I was using to blog from Nepal on Lily so things will probably look better & I will also probably blather on at greater length since I won't have to pick out each letter individually on Lily's imaginary keyboard.

Our room was quite nice, with two huge soft white beds that were as comfortable as they looked. It was an exciting novelty to take off our parkas & still be warm; in fact we sat around in our underwear for a while just enjoying the warmth & light & ever-present electricity. A small fly appeared in the ointment when I discovered that I would have to pay an extra $15 for a day of wifi but I reminded myself that that meant 24 actual hours of wifi with no blackouts. We dumped our filthy robes in the closet & headed for the bathroom where Pema Zangmo had a bath & I had a shower that lasted so long I got tired of standing & finally flopped onto the bed, in the thick white cotton bathrobe that came with the room. Bliss.

After watching a beautiful sunset out our huge window we went down to the lobby to rendezvous with Rang-rig & Felice & the BoyToy, a.k.a. Ja'gyür, who was going to join us for dinner.

The others had real drinks, like gin & tonic & Singapore Sling but I just ordered espresso because I was tired. It came with a little cookie & a shot glass of water, which seemed strange but not unwelcome.

We sat around the lobby for a while waiting for the restaurant to open, then we went downstairs to the dinner buffet that has the distinction of having poisoned Rinpoche on one of the previous pilgrimages. We hoped it would behave tonight.

Somebody's dinner: plate #1.

A hungry pilgrim chows down.

 The waiter complimented Pema Zangmo's red blouse & said he didn't see people wearing that color at the Hyatt. 
After dinner we said goodbye to the BoyToy & went to bed.

The next morning we were back in the restaurant for the breakfast buffet.

 Rang-rig's minimalist cheese platter.

 After this we wandered around the grounds for a while.

Then wandered around the shops (those jewels are as big as doorknobs, no kidding).

I briefly considered buying diamond stud earrings for $800, then realized I'd gone insane & instead bought a $15 fake pashmina that turned out to be my favorite purchase of the trip.  

 
After this we went back to our rooms to enjoy the last few hours of lolling around, then checked out & hung around the lobby till it was time to go to the airport (several hours later). The whole time we had heat & light & comfortable chairs & everything! Wotta world.

7 comments:

A Fairbanks said...

Glory Be!

TGF said...

It's so much fun to see Rang-rig's minimalist cheese platter memorialized here. I do have a.photo of BoyToy's original creation that (we suspect) may have been the inspiration for Rr's art. (I'll send it to you if you like.) Welcome home!

JR said...

it was quite fun to walk out of there at 10 pm in the dark with the waterboiler under one arm and a duvet jacket under the other almost like a beggar and thief ...

Naljorma Kha'drön said...

It must have been amazing! Did you have a sauna? Was the boytoy leaving you in the evening? Why?

sdw said...

My BoyToy will never be a beggar as long as I'm around. Thief is another matter.

Yes we had to send the BoyToy home. I was so tired & couldn't have him waking me up with champagne & massages all night.

Nying-tsal said...

Hmm. If I ever go there, methinks I will stay in the Hyatt every night.

jrupert said...

Yes, it is definitely the Hyatt for me. The best of both worlds.